The 14km radius earth monument in Kano State has a spiritual, cultural and historical significance.
It is associated with the Emir’s Palace. The ancient Kano city walls were built in order to provide security to the growing population.
The foundation for the construction of the wall was laid by Sakri Gijimasu from 1095 – 1134 and was completed in the middle of 14th Century during the reign of Zamnagawa.
In the 16th century, the walls were further extended to their present position. The gates are as old as the walls and were used to control movement of people in and out of the city. Though, most of them are largely in ruins.
Location: City of Kano, Kano.
Nearby Attraction: Emir’s Palace